Male fertility, the ability to cause a female to become pregnant, is essentially dependent on the quality and quantity of your sperm. Research studies have indicated that from around the age of 35 onwards, it takes a man longer to get a woman pregnant. While the march of time is unstoppable, the following factors can help in maximizing male fertility:
- Maintain Healthy Weight: The normal BMI for a man is between 18.5 and 24.9. An increased BMI not only affects your movement and slows you down, it apparently has the same effect on your sperm as well. On the other hand, a BMI under 18.5 is considered too low and reduces sperm quality.
- Antioxidant-Rich Diet: Antioxidants are a group of nutrients which include some vitamins and minerals that protect the cells of your body from damage caused by highly reactive chemical species containing oxygen. To improve sperm concentration and motility, make sure you are regularly consuming lots of fresh fruits and vegetables such as legumes, tomatoes, whole grains, red grapes, berries, broccoli, beans, spinach, artichokes, and nuts.
- Take Precautions Against Sexually Transmitted Diseases: Diseases such as gonorrhea and chlamydia have been known to cause infertility in men. The ideal way to prevent sexually transmitted disease and preserve your fertility is to maintain a monogamous relationship or else practice safe sex.
- Managing Stress: When left unchecked, stress can negatively influence male fertility. After a hectic schedule of work, it is important to make time for yourself to unwind and relax with activities such as yoga, meditation, hobbies, and socializing with family and friends.
- Regular Physical Activity: Regular physical exercise, when performed at a moderate level of intensity, has been found to increase antioxidant enzyme levels in the body, which protects and improves sperm quality.
If you feel you might have fertility issues, it is important to visit your doctor to rule out any underlying medical cause. Other than that, making these simple lifestyle changes will help maximize fertility and boost your chances of experiencing the joys of fatherhood.
ReproMed Fertility Center is committed to providing comprehensive infertility and reproductive health care, including In-vitro fertilization (IVF). Our physicians formulate individualized treatment plans for each patient so they have the best chance of conceiving. ReproMed Fertility Center can offer new hope to those seeking to overcome infertility in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.