It is well known fact that not being able to become pregnant and start a family when you want to can cause a lot of anxiety, but did you know that the reverse may also be true? – Too much anxiety can affect your fertility.
Research studies suggest chronic anxiety may disrupt signals from the part of the brain that regulates hormones and ovulation. Other aspects of fertility such as fertilization and implantation may also be affected. It’s not just the women, sperm production and testosterone levels in men may also be negatively impacted by anxiety.
Here are a few things you can do reduce anxiety levels and improve your chances of getting pregnant:
- Practice relaxation techniques: Spend 15-20 minutes every day clearing your mind of all worry and anxiety by practicing relaxation techniques such as meditation, focusing on your breathing, or yoga. You can do this at the start of the day or whenever you can find the time.
- Get enough sleep: You should be sleeping for at least 8 hours every day if you are trying to conceive. Besides being a great stress buster, sleep helps regulate hormones such as leptin, which affects ovulation.
- Exercise, but don’t overdo it: Moderate levels of exercise for 30 minutes a day 3-5 times a week is good for fertility. Brisk walking, light jogging, swimming, or dancing can help relieve stress and anxiety.
- Find a support group: Simply sharing your feelings with others that have been through the same rollercoaster of emotions as you will help reduce anxiety. With a trusted support group, you can rest assured that you are never alone.
- Get professional help: If you find yourself overly anxious, depressed, and worried such that it is affecting your routine activities and your relationship with friends and family, it may be a good idea to seek professional counseling.
ReproMed fertility clinics are located throughout Dallas, Grapevine, McKinney, Rockwall and in Tyler, Texas, giving patients convenient access to experienced, knowledgeable, and compassionate reproductive health specialists. Contact us for an appointment today.