People look forward to the holidays as a time to take time off from work, relax, and spend time with loved ones. Holidays are typically fun, festive and full of quality family time. But when you’re dealing with infertility, it can often be very trying and stressful.
The holidays are an emotional time for those dealing with infertility. Just the thought of having to see family members and friends that know you’ve been trying to conceive may cause anxiety. Maybe you just want to avoid your mother in law because she asks you every time you see her when she’s going to have grandchildren. Attending family gatherings with pregnant relatives or children can be a painful reminder of your situation. Not to mention that insensitive questions are sometimes asked which can be awkward and difficult.
Here are a few useful suggestions to help you cope with holiday gatherings:
- Don’t force yourself to be happy just because the season is here. Acknowledge your feelings and limit your activities if you need to. You don’t have to live according to other’s expectations.
- Though family gatherings are important, you can limit the number of visits or duration spent there. Try staying at a hotel if you are visiting family out of town.
- Keep in mind that people are not trying to be insensitive or rude with their inquiries. Most times, they are genuinely curious and excited about your family plans. They don’t even think that you may be having issues with fertility.
- You do not have to share your situation with everyone. Have tactful (or even humorous) replies for insensitive questions but try to avoid these awkward situations, if possible.
- Strengthen your relationship with your partner. Infertility can make things difficult but it can also bring the two of you together. Activities such going to a fancy restaurant, attending theater or going on a trip during this time can be fun.
- Sometimes taking the focus off of you and helping those less fortunate can be therapeutic. Consider buying gifts for those in need or get involved with charity.
Do the best you can to prepare yourself for the holidays. We wish you happiness during this season and the strength to cope with your situation.